The Committee for Dulles Community Outreach (CFDCO) is a nonprofit corporation organized and operated exclusively for educational and charitable purposes. The purposes of this program are to (a) to provide relief to the poor, distressed and underprivileged in the area of Washington Dulles International Airport, (b) to support other organizations conducting charitable activities, and (3) to advance education. We further our purposes under this program by conducting fundraising events in order to raise money for these purposes. In three years, CFDCO has contributed more than $88,000 to Special Olympics Virginia, awarded $62,000 in scholarships, and contributed more than $38,000 to non-profit organizations affiliated with Dulles Airport.
To achieve our goal to advance education, the CFDCO awards scholarships to students graduating from high school and pursuing college. Recipients must be either an employee or the dependent of an employee of a business or agency operating at Dulles International Airport. Selection of the scholarship recipient is made by CFDCO’s scholarship committee. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship if it does not receive suitable applications. Finalists participate in an interview process before final selections are made.
The Committee for Dulles Community Outreach, the charitable arm of the Committee for Dulles, will award a minimum of $24,000 in scholarships in 2018.
- Applicant must be an employee of, or dependent of an employee of a business or agency operating in the Washington Dulles Airport community. (This is defined as inside the fence that surrounds airport property.)
- Applicant is a graduating high school senior.
- Applicant must enroll in an accredited community college, trade school, college or university. The applicant may be full-time or part-time.
- Applicant demonstrates leadership and commitment to the community through involvement in extracurricular and/or volunteer activities. The two Academic/Community Service scholarship awardee(s) will demonstrate considerable community service.
- Applicant must submit a completed application form, student essay, recommendation letter from a teacher, and a copy of high school transcript.
- No financial disclosure required and scholarship is not based on need.
- The scholarship may be used for tuition and other related expenses, i.e., books.
- The scholarship must commence within 12 months of the scholarship award or scholarship award will be forfeited.
Selection of the scholarship recipient will be made by a committee of the sponsoring organization. Please note that the Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship if it does not receive suitable applications. Finalists may be required to participate in an interview process before final selections are made
Applications are due by April 4, 2018.
Five years ago, the Committee for Dulles (CFD) teamed up with the Washington Airports Task Force to establish the CFD Community Outreach, a non-profit venture to provide scholarships to employees of Dulles International Airport or their dependents, and to support non-profit entities associated with the airport. One of our primary fundraisers is a raffle and silent auction that is held as part of the Committee for Dulles’s annual gala. This year the gala will be held on Saturday, November 4th at the Hyatt Regency Dulles Hotel. We need your support, please, in two ways:
SILENT AUCTION DONATIONS: Some ideas include vacation getaways, sports tickets and memorabilia, theater tickets, experiences , wine and brewery tours, hotel stays, jewelry, art, spa packages, gift baskets, golf foursomes, electronic items, designer handbags, beauty packages, wine, etc. Please ensure that items donated have a value of at least $50. Donors will be listed in the printed Gala program, so in order for you to be included, please download and return the attached form to Carol Welti (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than October 25th.
THANK YOU for your consideration.
ALL proceeds from the raffle and silent auction support the Dulles community. In the past five years we have awarded 59 scholarships totaling $141,500 and $89,000 to organizations that support Dulles Airport. Your support makes this possible.
2016 Scholarship Recipients
2015 Scholarship Recipients
2014 Scholarship Recipients
- Megan Ganley, Thomas Jefferson High School, attending Virginia Tech (Dave Edwards)
- Bemnet Molla, Annandale High School, attending Virginia Tech (Dave Edwards)
- Mark Boahen, Loudoun County High School, attending George Mason University
- Rachel Burns, Woodgrove High School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Norhan Rafaat Darwish, Park View High School, University of Mary Washington
- Christina Ha, Freedom High School, attending University of Virginia
- Kathleen Elizabeth Huie, Loudoun County High School, attending Virginia Tech
- Richard William (Will) Sheller, Stone Bridge High School, attending Virginia Tech
- Megan Joan Thackaberry, Loudoun Valley High School, attending Virginia Tech
2013 Scholarship Recipients
- Vini, Briar Woods High School, attending Virginia Tech.
- Alan Potomac Falls High School, attending Northern Virginia Community College
- Emmanuel, Robinson High School, attending William and Mary.
The CFDCO may make contributions to Dulles-based charities. Contributions have been made to organizations such as Travelers Aid, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Interfaith Chapels, and the Loudoun Abused Women’s Shelter (LAWS).
The officers and directors administer this program through a donation of their services. This program is advertised through word of mouth, community bulletin boards, and materials such as letters or brochures that we send out to individuals. In order to cover our expenses, our program is funded through volunteer services and donations.